History

Before the division of Agra Archdiocese in 1900, there used to be a Catholic school for boys known as St. Michael’s School at Milsington run by the Capuchin Fathers. However with the division of Shimla from Agra in 1910, St. Michael’s School was closed.

The Irish Christian Brothers named the School as St. Edward’s and invited the people of Shimla to admit their boys into the school on March 9,1925. As Per The record on the first day, 42 boys were admitted to St. Edward’s School. The School began at 9:00 AM with a staff of six (Four Brothers and two lay teachers). Thus St. Edward’s School started as a day school for the boys of Shimla, primarily for Catholic boys but others were not excluded. It is also said that by the end of 1925 the number rose to 98. Slowly but surely, the school began to develop and prosper. By the end of winter of 1928, nine proper class rooms were built. Due to the hard work of the first Principal Bro. J.C.Doheny and the concerted efforts of the Archbishop, the school received permanent recognition in 1929. By March 1932, when the present main building was built, the school was converted in to a boarding school. a long cherished desire of the Archbishop bearing fruit. The school hall which can house nearly 450 people was blessed by the Archbishop on August 31, 1947. In 1948, due to the changed situation of India and the fear of war, parents refused to send the boys to Shimla, to the boarding, due to which the boarding was closed and the K.G. Classes were introduced. Hence, once again St. Edward’s became a Day School.

When the first Archbishop of Shimla diocese, Most Rev. A.E.J. Kenealy, OFM Cap was addressing a gathering at the Shimla Town hall in May 1911, the public surprised the Archbishop by expressing their need for a Catholic School for boys in Shimla, since the St. Michaels’s School was closed. The Archbishop being an Englishman knew the reputation of the Irish Christian Brothers as good educationists. Sent in his request to the Superior General in Irland, Who after many years of discussion and deliberation decided to accept the Archbishop request to start a Catholic School for the boys in Shimla. Thus in October 1924, two Irish Christian Brothers reached Shimla and met the Archbishop at Eaglemount. The Archbishop warmly welcomed the Brothers and placed at their disposal Milsington Estate and the grounds.

Ever since its inception in 1925, the school has progressed from strength to strength and has always maintained a high standard of education and has carved out a niche for itself and has anchored the students to make a difference in their lives. The Christian Brothers, who had established themselves with a high standard of Ever since its inception in 1925, the school has progressed from strength to strength and has always maintained a high standard of education and has carved out a niche for itself and has anchored the students to make a difference in their lives. The Christian Brothers, who had established themselves with a high standard of education, has moulded the boys of Simla, with fine discipline, strong character based on strong spiritual values, had trained them to play their role as responsible men in the rapidly changing world.

In 1984, the Christian Brothers, after 60 years of their dedicated service to the Institution, handed over the School to the Simla Chandigarh Diocese. Today the School is managed by Simla Chandigarh Educational Society, under the Bishop of Simla Chandigarh Diocese. The Educational Society has kept up the good work and continues to work with the same spirit, zeal and vigour. In 1998, St. Edward’s School achieved another milestone by the introduction of Senior Secondary Classes providing a platform for professional and higher education for its students. For this purpose, the construction of new block was undertaken in 1998. The School completed 75 years of its existence in the year 2000. As a jubilee gift to the people of Simla, the Bishop has re-introduced the pre-Primary Classes from April 2001. The School is affiliated to ICSE, New Delhi. The boys have been prepared for ICSE and ISC Examinations conducted by the ICSE, New Delhi until now. In 2008, due to the repeated requests from the parents and the students and considering the advantages it would give to the Students, the School Management decided to seek affiliation with the Central Board of Secondary Education. The School is now affiliated with the CBSE, New Delhi.